Post new topic   Reply to topic    Post Mortem Forum Index -> Public General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Adramelk-
Raiders
Medical Fellow

Medical Fellow

re: Seeking comments on new rig build

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Adramelk/saved/3D4G

-- the keyboard is crappy i know; my current keyboard is a piece of shit, status quo bitches

-- do not need monitors (already have 2x 21" 1920x1080's), a mouse (have an MMO mouse already)

edit

-- i'm an idiot and just picked a bunch of parts not looking so much at specs (eg: integrated ethernet + NIC card lulz)

Attending Physician

Attending Physician

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/dymlos/saved/3wxK

Just changed a couple of pieces.

CPU

Mobo

2x 8GB sticks instead of 4x 4GB sticks of RAM

PSU

and 2x MSI GTX 770's instead of EVGA's

edit: fucked up the link.

-Adramelk-
Raiders
Medical Fellow

Medical Fellow

your link gives them at MSI 760's not 770's >.>   /whoops

Enlighten me on 750W vs 1000W -- current setup on pcpartpicker estimates the current setup i've got for it at 680W-ish, but I'm assuming that's idling, not pulling all sorts of crazy power for the rig under stress//high performance mode.

Attending Physician

Attending Physician

There, fixed it.

Instead of gtx 2x 770 SLI, I'd just go for 1x 780 ti. I think its better for long term when you're thinking of upgrading, like adding another 780 ti for SLI. Plus, you can prevent games having issues with SLI.

As for the PSU, I just trust the corsair brand more. Personal preference, of course. And with 780ti, you'll need less power. So, 750W will do for now.

Annalisse
F&F Member
Chief Medical Examiner

Chief Medical Examiner

If you're going to have cash to spare, you might as well upgrade your optical drive to a blu ray drive.  http://www.asus.com/Optical_Drives/BC12B1ST/  is the one I have in my machine.  It's not much more than a plain ol' DVD/RW drive.  To watch movies though, you'd need separate software (because Windows doesn't support bluray playback by itself) - I use Cyberlink PowerDVD for this.  If this isn't a major desire for you, feel free to ignore this.

Ryan and I are both partial to ASUS Maximus Boards.  I'd also strongly recommend 900 W bare minimum for your machine.  I always err on the side of caution when it comes to power consumption needs, and I'd rather have a slightly beefier PSU than one that's just barely cutting it.

I'd agree with the 1 videocard vs 2 x SLI - from what I've read, WoW doesn't play well with SLI at all - WoW relies much more on memory and CPU than videocards (I realize you're getting this for OTHER games than WoW, but I still agree with Dym's line of thought).

Ryan built his machine a few months after mine, and this is *roughly* what he has in his:  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2MkMk

Dymlos
Dymlos!
Raiders
Attending Physician

Attending Physician

If money is no issue, and you want a higher wattage PSU, I'd suggest

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014&clickid=3T4yre24gXIr2ydV2D1E5zB1UkTyl0V5uSZ8SU0&iradid=97618&ircid=2106&irpid=79301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

Jârmâder
Raiders
Medical Student

Medical Student

Do you plan to use it for anything besides games, and do you have a target price?

-Adramelk-
Raiders
Medical Fellow

Medical Fellow

games; mid-high end (probably the most demanding would be ENBseries modded Skyrim;; if you don't know the performance hit ENB does to vanilla skyrim, lets just say ultra high quality SSAO & Bokeh DOF are the two big rendering features Skyrim is sorely lacking, but also drag my current rig down to 2-5 FPS, lower still if any kind of combat/active stuff is happening other than looking at pretty scenery;; also GFX card would need enough memory on board to handle expanded trees & flora, both with higher quality models & higher res textures ;; 2GB VRAM isn't enough to have it all done comfortably).

Other than games, dabbling in photoshop, video editing, primarily modeling/texturing/animating.  Current rig can do this just fine with a single radeon 5850 (old I know), i7-920 (old I know), and 12GB RAM.  The 8GB Dym suggests would get consumed a little too quickly for my tastes when I do decide to do some of those things.  RAM is something I don't want to run out of when I'm just about ready to save something only to have it stuck in not responding/crash.

Target price is as close to $2000 as possible; going a bit over isn't bad, though an upper limit would be $2500.

Attending Physician

Attending Physician

-Adramelk- wrote:

games; mid-high end (probably the most demanding would be ENBseries modded Skyrim;; if you don't know the performance hit ENB does to vanilla skyrim, lets just say ultra high quality SSAO & Bokeh DOF are the two big rendering features Skyrim is sorely lacking, but also drag my current rig down to 2-5 FPS, lower still if any kind of combat/active stuff is happening other than looking at pretty scenery;; also GFX card would need enough memory on board to handle expanded trees & flora, both with higher quality models & higher res textures ;; 2GB VRAM isn't enough to have it all done comfortably).

Other than games, dabbling in photoshop, video editing, primarily modeling/texturing/animating.  Current rig can do this just fine with a single radeon 5850 (old I know), i7-920 (old I know), and 12GB RAM.  The 8GB Dym suggests would get consumed a little too quickly for my tastes when I do decide to do some of those things.  RAM is something I don't want to run out of when I'm just about ready to save something only to have it stuck in not responding/crash.

Target price is as close to $2000 as possible; going a bit over isn't bad, though an upper limit would be $2500.

My suggestion was 16GB RAM (2x 8GB sticks). :P Told you my link was fucked up.

That build is overkill for modded skyrim. My old AMD FX 4100 with GTX 550 ti could handle ultra high quality with it.

Dymlos
Dymlos!
Raiders
Attending Physician

Attending Physician

I went and added stuff from you list.

I changed your case to a full tower instead of a mid tower.

If you're looking for a decent, cheap keyboard, I added the sidewinder x4. Not mechanical though, but I've had it for 2-something years and it hasn't failed me.

Hakuwtf
F&F Member
Resident Physician

Resident Physician

Gaming wise if you want to future proof yourself grab an i7 but an i5 is just fine these days and probably for the next couple years.

16GB of Ram. Honestly your i7-920 is still more than enough for most gaming these days. I wouldn't upgrade to Haswell if you're rocking that cause it won't be that significant. I'd wait for the next generation of intel chips that should yield better results than just energy consumption. Haswell runs hot too, so if you plan on overclocking I'd avoid it cause the chips are so far apart in terms of what overclocking they can do unless you can dissipate tons of heat.

Motherboard wise, just grab something that is overclockable and capable of at least 2-way SLI or Crossfire. I run the ASUS Maximus Extreme LGA 1150 socket.

I'd suggest at least an SSD for a boot drive. Either Samsung's Pro series or the EVO series if you want to save a little money. Use Black Edition Western Digital drives for their 5 yr warranty for the brunt of your storage. 2TB to keep the consistency up for failure rates.

Cases are difficult because honestly if you spend a good amount of money on the case you'll never need to buy another case. I've personally got a Corsair 900D. It's monstrous but I'd never want something else cause it can literally fit anything. It's got 9 HDD slots, 2 PSU slots, able to support 5 radiators, even the largest XL ATX boards.

Corsair or EVGA for power supplies. I use the EVGA NEX1500 PSU. Corsair's AX1200i is pretty awesome though.

You'll want to spend the brunt of your money on Graphics and a good monitor, I know you said you had 2 monitors and were good but remember cheap 4k monitors are coming this year!

You mentioned photoshop editing and if you're using adobe products you may want to take advantage of leveraging the CUDA cores in Nvidia graphics to make it faster. I'd recommend a GTX 780 or 780Ti. I use two GTX 780s in SLI. It's crazy fast.

Several people are releasing 4k monitors for under $800 this year in a couple months. Although they will be TN Panels and not have the color reproduction of the higher end monitors.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Post Mortem Forum Index -> Public General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum