View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turturin
Raiders
Chief Medical Examiner

Chief Medical Examiner

re: SoO Warlock Spec Thoughts

1st off there has been no numbers tuning as of yet. So I'm posting any opinions on the basis of mechanics.

Fights I've seen so far:

Immerseus - Pretty clear to me burst on the adds is the key to the fight. Destro with Havoc cleave is the clear winner. Shadowburn to finish off low adds near the boss is an added bonus

Fallen Protectors - Assuming the bosses are tanked close to each other (in HoG or RoF range), all specs should be fine here.

Norushen - Reasonably sure the optimal strat will have warlocks focused on AoE for a large portion of the fight. All should be ok, demo and destro probably slightly better for when they need to burst adds down stairs (although redesigned soul swap will make this not terrible for affliction either)

Dark Shaman - Probably Demo?, affliction might be good as well. Hard to see destro performing all that well here. Bosses move a lot (making RoF useless even when they are tanked together), a lot of movement is required from players as well.

General Nazgrim - the AoE part at the start is stupid and inconsequential...I'm uncertain about this but Demo should be pretty good due to mobility, but if the adds don't live long enough for doom to matter, maybe affliction (with new soul swap) would be better. Destro should not be terrible either.

Post if you have thoughts on these or other bosses. Please say why you think a spec will be best
Madmoos
F&F Member
Attending Physician

Attending Physician

I did not really think about specs in general. Unfortunately, i haven't done a lot of 10 raid. I am still studying the bosses but i will post my thoughts on them soonish.

Medical Fellow

Turt, I agree with your thoughts on the specs. If there are any issues with killing the Foul Slime on Dark Shaman, I can see how Destro or Demo might assist for an easier burst of AOE compared to Affliction if required.
Turturin
Raiders
Chief Medical Examiner

Chief Medical Examiner

Affliction actually has the best burst AoE atm due to mannoroth's fury affecting all of it's aoe dmg. Seriously it's disgusting.

I'm not sure of the timing of the slime's tho and whether that will line up well.
Turturin
Raiders
Chief Medical Examiner

Chief Medical Examiner

Back to this after a couple months more testing....I'll post my own larger guide/thoughts later on today or tomorrow (its almost ready), but in the meantime here is a quick list of spec's Evrelia posted as his feeling for optimal on each fight. I largely agree.

Immerseus - Destruction
Protectors - Affliction
Norushen - Affliction
Sha of Pride - Demo or Destro
Galakras - Destro
Iron Juggernaught - Affliction
Dark Shaman - Affliction or Destro - (Destro does better AoE, but an Ele sham is more preferable for that purpose and Aff is higher on bosses).
Nazgrim - Affliction
Malkorok - Affliction
Spoils - Destruction
Thok - Not decided, possibly Demo.
Siegecrafter - Affliction
Klaxxi - Affliction
Garrosh - Any spec could work depending on your strategy and your role within that. Demo offers the best overall DPS if you're able to stay in AoE range every time the waves are up. Destro is fantastic at killing the Siege Engineers quickly. Affli offers the highest boss dps.

Note: Demo doesn't appear much. That doesn't mean it sucks, it just means for each fight another spec choice is likely more optimal.
Madmoos
F&F Member
Attending Physician

Attending Physician

My thoughts as of right now with the current patch on ptr.

Most of specs are noormal and heroic. The " ; " just means that i am planning on playing a different spec on normal and heroic.

Immersus : demo/afflic - ad ; destro - ad

Protectors : afflic - mf

Norushen (st) : affliction - ad

Sha : affliction - mf

Galakras : affliction - mf/ad

Juggernaut (st): demo/affliction - ad

Dark shaman : affliction - mf

Nazgrim : affliction - ad

Malkorok : demo/afflic - ad ; afflic - ad

Spoils : affliction/destro - ad

Thok : demo - ad

Blackfuse : affliction kj

Klaxxi : affliction - ad

Garrosh : affliction - mf/ad

I have some thoughts on how i will play for each fight. I did not do a lot of testing reason why i am not sure on some talents. I will however use the 1st week to test them.

Medical Fellow

With the exception of dark shaman, and norushen, I think demo will be viable. But I could be wrong.
Lambz
Raiders
Medical Fellow

Medical Fellow

Like we talked about on mumble, the fights might have different demands from the dps. An example of that in the current tier is Durumu the Forgotten and the ice walls. For SoO a similar example would be the Dark Shaman because of the adds that spawn and the need for ranged burst aoe. While on the flip side some fights have no requirements, such as Ji-Kun.

Primarily I am thinking of playing Affliction / Demonology with the preparation of being Destruction.

Immersus: Affliction ; Destro

Protectors: Affliction

Norushen: Affliction

Sha of Pride: Affliction

Galakras: Affliction ; Destro

Juggernaut: Affliction

Dark Shaman: Affliction (Destro if adds need burst)

Nazgrim: Affliction / Demo

Malkorok: Affliction

Spoils: Affliction

Thok: Affliction

Blackfuse:

Klaxxi:

Garrosh:

I will edit the final 3 after more data.
Turturin
Raiders
Chief Medical Examiner

Chief Medical Examiner

Madmoos wrote:
My thoughts as of right now with the current patch on ptr.

Most of specs are noormal and heroic. The " ; " just means that i am planning on playing a different spec on normal and heroic.

Immersus : demo/afflic - ad ; destro - ad

Protectors : afflic - mf

...snip

Interested in how you plan on using MF on protectors? what's your angle there?
Madmoos
F&F Member
Attending Physician

Attending Physician

[/quote]Interested in how you plan on using MF on protectors? what's your angle there?[/quote]

I was planning on using it during Desperate Measures. A lot of the adds seemed like they did not have a lot of health which is good for SoC. Also bosses are un-targettable so cleaving is fine.

I do not have a lot experience as affliction on that fight.

I was planning to go Demo + Sac + UVLS + mf and own.

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum