Post new topic   Reply to topic    Post Mortem Forum Index -> Public General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_kosmonaut
F&F Member
Medical Student

Medical Student

re: Feeling tired? Buy creatine!

http://spotmebro.com/creatine-sleep-deprivation/

"Not getting enough sleep makes you feel like shit. Sleep deprivation has a negative effect on cognitive and psychomotor performance and mood state partially due to decreases in creatine levels in the brain. For many people, lack of sleep is one of the primary reasons for demotivation in maintaining a consistent exercise routine.

Scientists conducted a study to examine the effect of creatine supplementation on sleep deprivation. They gave the test group 5 grams of creatine monohydrate four times a time a day for 7 days, immediately prior to the experiment. Subjects undertook tests of movement generation, verbal and spatial recall, choice reaction time, static balance and mood state pre-test, after 6, 12 and 24 hours of sleep deprivation, with intermittent exercise.

What they found was that following 24-h sleep deprivation, creatine supplementation had a positive effect on mood state and tasks that place a heavy stress on the prefrontal cortex such as difficult decision making, reaction time, and balance.

Another study found that 5-10 gram dosages of creatine had an immediate effect on sleep deprived athletes and allowed them to perform just as well on repetitive motor skills tests as when they were rested, compared to a placebo group which saw a significant decrease in skill execution. They found a similar result from caffeine supplementation.

This study demonstrated that a single dose of creatine can allow an athlete to perform with their normal precision, strength, and power after being deprived of zzz’s. Interestingly this study also saw a very small increase in testosterone levels after creatine supplementation.

Science looks pretty solid, next time you don’t get enough sleep, take some creatine and you should feel and perform better overall. If you plan on working out while sleep deprived, take 5 grams of creatine about 90 minutes before."

Medical Student

Used on and off over the last few years, definitely a nice supliment for increasing size and strength, you just retain so much water and look a bit puffy, I did anyway

the_kosmonaut
F&F Member
Medical Student

Medical Student

Just depends on the creatine you're using.  I've never had water weight gains; I'm always very particular about the kind I buy because I don't want that to happen

Medical Student

ON mono-hydrate but its hardly an issue, water drops straight away.

crayzus
Raiders
Medical Fellow

Medical Fellow

I hear that you should take bi weekly or once every 2 days so your body can create its own creatine. Is this necessary? I have been taking it every day for 7 months now. On the days that forgot to take it I felt physically weaker.

Last edited by crayzus on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rydzzz
Raiders
Medical Student

Medical Student

We did quite a bit of study on creatine in first year, to put it simply your body stores atp which is energy in your muscles (your brain is classified as a muscle) naturally you get small amounts of creatine from red meats and fish. Creatine buffers the amount of energy you store in your muscles which means you can push put those extra reps and improve explosiveness like sprints ect, pretty much anything in a ten second time frame. So load up for a week wth 20-40 grams a day depending on your body weight then cut down to 5-10 a day (before with a high glycemic index food like a fruit juice and aftet exercise) do for about 2 months on 5-10 grams a day. There's so much conflicting research but I wouldn't recommend 7 months. ..

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Post Mortem Forum Index -> Public General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum