Post new topic   Reply to topic    Post Mortem Forum Index -> Public General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unupotato
Raiders
Resident Physician

Resident Physician

re: Laptop Help

I need to find a laptop roughly 300-500 dollars that is not a crappy one. I don't really need it to play games, and would like to find one with Microsoft Office installed. I'd prefer it to have Windows 7 but I'm not opposed to 8. I've never bought a laptop before so I have no clue what to look for besides the basic desktop specs.

If anyone can lend some tips or know of some decent laptops let me know!

Medical Examiner

I would say to aim for at least an i5 processor or even an i7 - anything less than those are going to have trouble in the coming years being efficient with new software. Nothing else for a laptop will matter for you except the brand, which I don't really know too well. My friend just got an asus which she really likes, but it is one of their more expensive models.

My family has also had a toshiba laptop for like 3 years that has had no issues (which they bought for relatively cheap at a best buy). However, it has a first gen i3 processor and is extremely slow now. 

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP/K0C13AV?HP-15t-Laptop-Best-Value 

This may be something you're interested in?

Like you I don't really know a lot about laptops either. 

Medical Fellow

Just my 2 cents since I've been rebuilding and repairing computers/laptops for some time. I wouldn't go for something cheap if you are looking for something to work out long term. If you are looking for something just for word processing that is portable, i would look into a ASUS transformer T300 (648$).

IF you are looking for something that simply will last a long time, can do gaming if needed and has some killer great parts in it, i would save / spend the 1200$ on the Asus ROG G750JW that is simply a desktop in a laptop, it has i7 processor, nvidia 870 GPU, 2 HDD bays for SSD + Storage and takes upto 32gb Ram for a laptop.

Quality Laptop brands: 

Gaming/Quality: Asus, MSI

Business: Dell, Lenovo

Crap: everything else.

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum